General MacArthur is a 5th class municipality in the province of Eastern Samar, Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 11,625 people. The town was created from the barrios of Pambujan Sur, Calutan, San Isidro, Vigan, Binalay, Camcueves, Domrog and Pingan of the town of Hernani by virtue of Republic Act No. 193, enacted on June 22, 1947.
General MacArthur is politically subdivided into 30 barangays.
The municipality of Gen Mac Arthur, Eastern Samar was created by Republic Act No. 193 that was approved in Congress on June 22, 1947 with six original barangays namely Binalay, Calutan, Domrog, Pingan, San Isidro and Vigan.
Before its existence as an independent municipality, significant events played a very important role in the history of the municipality.
In the seventeenth century when a family of settlers from Barrio Alingarog of Guiuan decided to travel northward to look for a better way of life and come to settle permanently in a place now called Gen. Mac Arthur.
Before, the place was called “Tugas” by the settlers because of the presence of a variety of hardwood. It was not only rich in hardwood but also has a rich fishing ground which drew more settlers to the place.
Local leaders to name it after their military idol Gen Douglas Mac Arthur to give due recognition and honor memories of the Second World War unsung heroes, the guerilla soldiers of Pambujan Sur who fought courageously with the five – star general to liberate the Phiilippines.