Javier is a fourth (4th) class municipality in the province of Leyte, Philippines, and a 14,180 hectare rural town approximately 73 kilometers south of Tacloban City. It is located between the boundaries of Baybay on the west side and MacArthur & Abuyog Towns, along the Leyte Gulf. It has a very narrow coastlines and coastal plains facing the Pacific .
Javier is politically subdivided into 28 barangays.
HISTORY OF JAVIER
The municipality of Javier, Leyte was formerly barrio Bugho of the municipality of Abuyog, Leyte. Bugho is a contraction of the dialect term “Binogho” (from local dialect root word “buho”), meaning a small clearing within a forest area. Settlers at about the turn of the century cultivated this small patch of land. Among the earliest known settlers was Manuel Cultura, a native of Burauen, Leyte who is believed to have led his friends and relatives to farm the fertile soil of the area, then a virgin forest. Later, as the settlement grew, it became a sitio of barrio Pinocawan, and established barrio since the Spanish occupation.
Sometime in 1914, Daniel Falcon Javier of Consolacion, Sogod, Southern Leyte and a former teacher and principal of Cebu Normal School of Cebu City in the early 1900s came to explore the surrounding area of the new settlement. At that time he just came from Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte where he started extensive farming activities since 1908 after his resignation as principal at the Cebu Normal School.
A malaria plague in Cabadbaran, however, inflicted a heavy death toll among his people so that he had to explore other suitable areas until he came upon Bugho. Impressed by the fertility of the soil, he started staking out his claims in Bugho and moved out from Cabadbaran completely. Subsequently Daniel married Dolores Mercado Veloso, also of Consolacion, Sogod, Southern Leyte, and settled in Bugho naming his settlement as Camalig. He initiated projects in the community where he was readily accepted as the teacher, Daniel Javier’s concern was to educate the people. He opened a school in 1918 on land donated by Pedro Abordo with Leona Valles as the first teacher. Daniel Javier was a dedicated man without vices and he led the people in community activities to improve their working habits, eradicate superstition that hampered progress and introduced the use of vaccines and medicines. He also prevailed upon the people to accept the modern and progressive ways of agriculture.
The community rapidly progressed as people from Cebu particularly from Argao and Bohol came in droves at the invitation and assistance of Mr. D.F. Javier who helped them legally acquire land-holdings. The people from Argao led by Pedro Gacera of Barrio Talaytay of that town settled at the west side of what is now Barrio Binulho.Rear view at Real Street of Historic Javier Central School Campus
A bigger school had to be built because of the size of the community and so Mano Daniel (as the people fondly called Daniel F. Javier) invited Mr. Waters, an American Superintendent to help them build one. Mr. Waters readily agreed and together with Evaresto Retucsan donated a new site for the school with the people contributing a counterpart of 1,000.00 Pesos with the release of 7,000.00 pesos from the government. The people through the “Bayanihan” system furnished most lumber requirements.
Corn, abaca & coconut were the main products of the community. Mano Daniel introduced irrigation utilizing the abundant water resources. It became a progressive community and was the center of trade among the neighboring barrios. In the 1939′s it was among the contenders for township with barrios Palale and MacArthur. Since Mano Daniel’s leadership was recognized by the provincial and district politicians, he used this influence to bring community improvements.
Bugho was not only among the centers of resistance activities but also as evacuation centers during the Second World War. Food and other resources continued to be readily available and the local people supported the guerrilla movement. After the war, guerrilla remnants turned into organized banditry as Bugho still the center of these activities. However, the people continued to work in their farms and production was boosted with the evacuees helping them.One of the rice grainery of PoblacionLocal high value commercial crops
Coconut, rice, abaca and ginger became the main products. Although organized banditry still existed and peace and order was not fully restored yet, the people were not deterred in their desire to become an independent municipality. During mid-1950s, with the help of Attorney Higino A. Acala, Sr the “Bugho for Municipal Movement” was organized with Felomino Mercado, Pedro Gecera, Angel Caminong, Ambrocio Novio, Bernardino Tisado and Julia Brosas among its leaders. On December 18, 1959 at the initiative of Mayor Catalino Landia, the municipal council of Abuyog was convened to a session at Bugho endorsing by way of Resolution No. 7 to convert Bugho into an independent municipality of Abuyog to include the barrios of Caraya (Caraye), Ulhay, Tambis, Comatin, Caranhug, Talisayan and Manarug among many others.
House Bill No. 2895 sponsored by Congressman Veloso of the 3rd District of Leyte and co-sponsored by Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez of the 1st district passed through the Senate and became Republic Act 3422 creating the municipality of Bugho in June 1961. The first Municipal election was on November 12, 1963 and on January 3, 1964, the following officials were elected: Ambrocio Novio – Mayor, Felimon Tano – Vice Mayor, Vicente Rellin, Ruperto de Luna, Ruperto Villamor, Hidulfo Malasaga, Pastor Dingal, Eutiquiano Badique as councilors. It began its operations as a 7th class municipality.
In December 1965, the municipal Council unanimously approved a resolution to change the name of the municipality of Bugho to Javier, in honor of the late Daniel Falcon Javier, who died in Consolacion, Sogod in 1957.
In 1970, the seat of government was finally transferred to the present site on a building constructed through the efforts of Congressman Artemio Mate.
In 1972, the son of the late Daniel F. Javier, Domingo V. Javier, was elected Mayor. Within a few months after his assumption of office and before Martial Law, road networks were vastly improved.
- Currently served by two (2) mobile communication company giants: Smart Communications and Globe Telecom.
- Karayhakan is held every third week of January.
- Black Sand Beach in Casulungan
- Bito Falls in Caraye
- Buga in Caraye
- Lake Bito
- Mat-i Falls
- Sangat in Odiong
Landmarks & Institutions:
- East Visayan Adventist Academy Complex (EVAA)
- Faith Baptist Church
- Javier National High School
- New Iglesia Ni Cristo Chapel
- New St. Micheal Parish Church
- Rural Bank of Javier, Inc.
- Sto. Niño Shrine