Villareal is a coastal town located in the southwestern part of Samar island. It is bounded in the north by Villareal Bay, in the east by Pinabacdao, in the west by Talalora and in the south by Sta. Rita.
Of the eighteen settlements in the island when the Jesuits arrived in 1596, Umauas was made one of their first mission stations. Umauas is the original name of Villareal – a name taken from the stream gently “flowing” through the place down into the sea. Umauas became a pueblo in 1768, and in 1863 its name was changed to the hispanic “Villareal”.
Villareal, now more than two hundred years old, has become a big flourishing town with lots of enterprising professionals. From about six hundred families in 1768, its population has grown to more than twenty – three thousand people in 4,473 households according to the 2000 census. Many Villahanons have travelled to distant shores in quest of a better quality of life.But nostalgic memories of home — like the celebration of the town fiesta in honor of their beloved St. Rose of Lima – always remain with them. Somehow, deep down in their hearts, a voice keeps saying: Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home.
The municipality of Villareal is estimated to be 65 kilometers southwest of Catbalogan, the provincial capital. It has a total land area of 239.4 square kilometers or 10, 432.9 hectares.
It is classified as a fourth class municipality belonging to the second political district of Samar with 38 barangays.